Fire Attack on Presidents Electorate Office

September 10, 2009

from http://www.stuff.co.nz/2850428/Fire-at-PMs-electorate-office

The molotov cocktail attack on Prime Minister John Key’s electorate office today is the third attempted arson in the area in the past month, although police say it does not appear they were linked.

The fire at Mr Key’s Kumeu electorate office was caused by a Molotov cocktail thrown through a window, police at the scene confirmed.

Fire safety officers and police were investigating the blaze, which started at about 3am.

The Fire Service was alerted at 3.05am by two phone calls from the public – one from a passer-by and another by a neighbour.

A blackened window at front left of the house appeared to be the point of entry.

Rodney area commander Janet Hope said the damage caused was very minor, including charring on the window frame and smoke damage.

Ms Hope said electorate staff had indicated there had been nothing recently which could have provided a motive for the incident.

“We don’t have any definite lines of inquiry at the moment,” she said.

Fire service northern communications shift manager Paul Radden said the fire was quickly extinguished.

IDLING CAR HEARD

Steve Nobilo lives across the road from the electorate office.

He and a woman who also lives at the house heard breaking glass and a car idling at around 3am.

The woman, who didn’t want to be named, said she knew it was 3am because she looked at her alarm clock.

She said she thought it was people smashing glass which had been put out for recycling.

“It would have been the window smashing, then I heard a car idling. It sounded like a very big car, then it just drove off,” she said.

The couple said they were in bed and their bedroom window was right on the road.

“And then the fire alarm went off, which was the most dreadful sound you could have heard and it went on and on, and the fire brigade came and that was it.”

The woman said it was a quiet area and there was little traffic at that time of night.

OTHER ARSON ATTACKS

Two Saturdays ago, a small fire was started on the deck of the music room at the Waimauku School just up the road from Mr Key’s office, while there was also an arson attack at the Helensville Rugby Club.

Waimauku School principal Gary Pasfield said someone had found lost property on the school’s grounds, piled it up on the deck of the music room and set it alight.

A passerby spotted the fire before the building caught alight and kicked the burning clothing off the deck before serious damage was done.

“Had it been a couple of minutes later we could have had the whole building go up,” Mr Pasfield said.

The fire, which was started at between 6.30 and 7.00 in the morning, had melted part of the downpipe and charred the side of the building.

Ms Hope said that initial indications were that the fire at Mr Key’s electorate office was a different kind of arson attack, with a different method of trying to start the fire.

“Initially there doesn’t seem to be a link. We’re mindful that we’ve had other fires in the area.”

“Those fires are still being investigated but on the face of it they don’t appear to be linked to this fire.”

A spokesman for Mr Key said there would be no comment on the fire at this stage.
Ad Feedback

Prime ministers’ electorate offices have been the target of attacks in the past.

In 2004 an axe attack was made on the Auckland electorate office of then prime minister Helen Clark.

Political activist Tim Selwyn was convicted on a sedition charge for his involvement in the attack, and was jailed for two months.

In January last year a brick was thrown through the window of Miss Clark’s electorate office.

– with NZPA

Solidarity Action with Greek Uprising, Unsmooth Operators Eight

May 31, 2009

During a small manifestation outside the greek embassy in January, showing support for the uprising in Greece, although a police photographer happily pranced around taking photos from all directions, it aparently wasn’t enough in the profiling of those who dare express adverse political belief in a representative democracy.

A women with two small children approached one of those holding the banner and informed them of the covert photographer dressed in black lying down pointing his camera at the spectacle, hiding behind the barrirer on the second story of a car-park she was exiting.

It is well known to anyone politically active in this country that ‘operation eight’, an intensive and covert surveillance operation continues, stalking those who resist the colonial and state capitalist system.

Atleast it’s nice to know that even random members of the general public are willing to go out of their way to expose what they see as highly offensive behaviour on the part of the police spy’s and secret service.

solidemo greece

Banner reads in Greek language 'No Police. No Police Violence'

Banner reads in Greek language 'No Police. No Police Violence'

Police photographer

Police photographer

Essay on ‘Insurrection vs. Organization’ by Peter Gelderloos

May 30, 2009

In this essay Peter Gelderloos looks at some of the relationships and responds to the ongoing debate between insurrectionary and organisational anarchists. He argues for a more pluralistic approach to the struggle, and offers suggestions for either proponents on how to cooperate strategically, and in a mutually beneficial way, rather than furthering to alienate and isolate themselves from each other.

After responding to four relevant texts, he concludes that the question of structure and form maybe less important than some would regard it, and that unless we develop better communication skills and more affluent criticism the limitations and weakness of current structures and strategies could have fatal results.

Although rather lengthy, this could be a useful and insighful text, especially for any person or group who perceive this divide as a hindrance to the movement.

From: http://mostlywater.org/insurrection_vs_organization_reflections_on_a_pointless_schism

Read the rest of this entry »

Support those Imprisoned for the Defense of Ungdomshuset

March 9, 2009

Four of the fifteen Danish activist, who took part in the strugge to save Ungdomshuset, have been sentenced and imprisoned, whilst nine others who took part in the occupation are still going through the courts.

Photo of the occupation taken weeks beore eviction and demolition of the house
Photo of the occupation taken weeks beore eviction and demolition of the house

The Story in Brief…

Ungdomshuset (translating to ‘Youth House’) was an epic community and culutral centre which provided an important space for youth, anarchists, anti-authroitarians and autonomous struggles in Copenhagen for over a quarter of a century. It was built in 1897  by unions as an organising space, cultural and community centre and entitled ‘Folket Huset’ (Peoples House).

In the 70’s, it had become disused and derelict and was purchased by a supermarket who hoped to tear it apart but were unable to get consent due it’s historical importance; hosting the first international feminist conference and speakers such as Lenin on a regular basis. In 1982 however, it was squatted and an agreement between the neighbourhood and the city took place, deciding on making it the official youth house.

Photo by Hans Joergensen
Photo by Hans Joergensen

In 1999 the Danish state sold it to ‘Faderhuset’ who are a small but disturbing cult of fundamentalist right-wing Christians. This was essentially a declaration of war made by the state against the autonomous peoples of Copenhagen and their many friends across the planet. As no resolution could be found between the youth and the state, and legal proceedings came to an end denying the youth the right to their house; the resistance intensified seeing direct action, popular struggle and insurrectionary revolt in the streets of Denmark, as well as solidarity manifestations across Europe and around the world.

It could be said that a defining moment of this struggle was after the ‘Final Battle for Ungdomshuset’  during decemeber 2006, (a battle which saw more police hospitalised than protesters) which ended with Copenhagens chief of police pleading with liaisons of the house; exclaiming that they could not continue to fight out on the streets, and offering the youth a new building if they would end the occupation. This started a whole new set of negotiations which resulted in a refusal to end the occupation but an agreement to fulfill the demand for a new building of equal size or bigger, if the eviction were to go ahead.

On March 1st the eviction took place and within days the building was completely demolished, over 800 people imprisoned and riots spread across the Danish state. The whole thing cost an equivalent of a 144 million kroner, or almost 20,000,000 euros.

Today…

Two years later and the trials of 13 people continue while 4 remain in prison. The importance of defending spaces, spaces that are territory, created, liberated and fought for; cannot be underestimated in these times of very real and approaching social, political and economic crises, and in the face of increasingly fascist, technocratic-imperialist-tyrannies, oppression and social control, everywhere…. Those who fight to keep these much needed organising and cultural centres; doing so while knowing the risks of incarceration, are sacrificing their freedom, bodies and lives for the people and struggles everywhere, as a space like this was used by tens of thousands across the planet.

It has been said before “they are in their for us, we need to be out their for them!’ and it’s every bit true. Show support and solidarity with the occupiers of ungdomshuset. Keep squatting, keep supporting local squats and social centres; building a society with free spaces like these to sort out the many serious problems our societies must deal with, and abolishing those institutions which are making freedom an impossible dream,  ie prison.

To write to those imprisoned or for general support get in touch with the Danish Black Cross via their website

-Gwilym


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.